Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Photographs




by: GWhang my mom

I'm sorry for being so repetitive, but I continue to be so amazed and incredulous by how much attention we attract and how many people approach us and want to have a friendly conversation with us. Before coming here, one piece of advice I received about taking photos was the following: establish a relationship with people before taking photos (which I usually try to do anyway) and no photos of religious women. I was also very timid at first about walking around with my camera around my neck. Friends and family were also concerned about my shutterbug fixation.

Well, contrary to all of these warnings, people stop us all the time and ask to take a photo of us or with us... in fact, one religious woman in her chador asked our permission to take a photo of us!!! While we are waiting for a table at a restaurant, people offered to share a meal with us. (This happened twice)

Now, when we go out, we wonder who we are going to meet and what kind of encounters we will have. One couple that we met at the park in Tehran already emailed us and wanted to get together with us again before we leave Tehran. Unfortunately, we won't have time.

Check out the picture. Guess what the man with the video camera is taking photos of at Persepolis? YUP... our group!!!!! And, the other photo is of our guide taking a photo with the cell phone of one of the young men in the photo.



1 comment:

  1. Hi guys - great photos and comments! Sounds like a fantastic experience cavorting with the enemy.

    Rick Steves is green with envy about where you are getting to. Me too.

    I like the new names too ... once I figured out who each was.

    So if Karl is Kareem and Gail is GWheezy does that mean Norm is NGeezer?
    Been playing any cards on the trip? Has Daniel cleaned you out yet??

    Congrats to the newlyweds and lucky family!

    ReplyDelete