Thursday, May 7, 2009

Iran in a nutshell

I haven’t been able to update my blog for the past few days because of the really slow dial-up internet and Daniel’s modem isn’t working now. I tried uploading a picture and it took 15 minutes to upload one picture! I’ve been taking a bunch of videos to give people a better idea of what its like here but uploading a video on dial-up? Forget about it! However, we just arrived in Esfahan, the former capital of Iran (400 years ago). We’re staying at a really nice hotel here and hopefully they have DSL internet so I can upload my videos and pictures! Let me give you a few brief updates and thoughts on the past few days:

Kat and I are staying at her Grandmas home in northern Tehran. The neighborhood is very nice and peaceful but still close to several shops, restaurants and grocery stores. Almost all the homes in Tehran are apartment buildings. They all have large front gates and a garden in front. It is definitely more developed here than I originally imagined. The apartment has a video camera hook-up to the apt to see who rings the doorbell and most of the stores have American products such as Coke, Red Bull, Snickers, Dole etc. in addition to all of the Iranian goods.



Kat’s Grandma’s (“Mamanjoon”) apartment is very nice and spacious. Most Iranians have huge living rooms since family gatherings are common and they always sit in a large circle when company comes over. I must say that Iranians are the nicest and most hospitable country of any of the 18 countries I’ve visited in my short lifetime. Everyone we’ve encountered on the street, shops and restaurants is really nice, always stopping to help us.



For example, we were looking for the jewelry museum yesterday and asked a man on the street where it was. He was really nice and went out of his way to explain that it was closed today but that there were a couple other museums near by that were open. He even walked down a half block to help show us where they were. People here don’t hate Americans like what is often portrayed or implied in the media. They are excited when the learn that we are from America and always say “I hope you have a wonderful time here in Iran”. I honestly feel 10 times safer walking down the street here at night than I do back at home! There is very little crime here. Perhaps because of the stricter laws, no alcohol and religion that is ingrained in society. I must say it is a very refreshing change from America. In just the week I’ve been here my perception of the world has changed already. I’ve realized how powerful propaganda can be. Even for myself and I consider myself to be very open minded and have heard stories about Iran from Kat for the past 8 years! I have to admit I still didn’t know what to expect and the fear that is instilled in everyone back home definitely had an impact on my expectations. All of us, my parents, brother, aunt and myself heard countless replies of “What? Iran?! Why the hell are you going there for?” “Do you have an escape route?” “Watch out for the bombs”. Definitely unwarranted fear. I think many people associate Iran and all often all middle east countries with the war torn countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. All we hear about Iran and the middle east in the media is “Nuclear weapons”, “Axis-of-evil”, “suicide bombs”. But no one talks about the rich history and culture here. Or the kind hospitality and caring hearts of the people here. Propaganda is powerful, so I don’t blame people for having the perceptions that they do about countries like Iran. I was, am and probably always will be a victim myself to this propaganda. I just try to keep an open mind and try to not judge before experiencing anything for myself.

Alright, that is my propaganda rant for the trip. No more, I promise :) .

I am having a wonderful time staying with Kat’s family here. I’ve heard so much about them all over the years so it is great to finally meet them. They are sooooo nice. Every minute they offer me tea and food. I’ve been showered with gifts already. Her grandma and uncle both bought us very nice (expensive) Persian rugs. We went to the store yesterday to pick out glassware and other home appliances for people to buy for us (it is a Persian tradition for families to by the couple these things in addition to several other gifts for their wedding). Her parents have been great to us. Treating me and my family like their own family. Taking us out, always making sure we are comfortable, inviting us for dinner, etc. I feel like I am part of their family already.

2 comments:

  1. wow kg you're stories are totally making me want to go and visit iran one day! sounds like you and kat are having an amazing time. have fun and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. Your stories have opened up my eyes a little more today. :)

    ReplyDelete